August 18, 2022 - The Bookshelves - Construction

Here’s where we made our biggest mistake. We didn’t communicate the room structure to Rakks, only the interior dimensions. Therefore, we had to cut every in-room shelf to a new length. That wasn’t too difficult with our new Sjöbergs workbench, a 12” rented Delta sliding miter saw, and a new aluminum cutting blade.

We anchored the in-room poles to the LVLs colored in red, so the top 7 long shelves, as noted in the drawing, had to have 8 1/2” cut off of them and the bottom 3 had to have 16 1/2” cut off. This allowed us to butt them hard up against the wall shelves. This was important because we eliminated the northmost pole from the Rakks design. There wasn’t an LVL in the right spot to anchor the AB0035 pole top brackets to. So what did we do to hold up those cantilevered shelf ends?

Martin fiddled around for quite some time with the Rakks end caps, which weren’t going to be used on the north ends of the 60 in-room shelves. At left is what he came up with. By reversing the set screws, the slot could be faced downward. Then the screws which held the end caps onto the blocks could be reused and the strap repurposed to create what we call a 90° shelf lockdown

The transformation is shown from left to right in the photo.

The necessary adjustment comes from the fact that the entire slot is extruded with 1/4” x 20 threads on each side of it so that the screws can be put anywhere in the slot but right on top of the set screw.

Here’s one of the problems we encountered while modifying the AB0035 for much larger screws than provided by Rakks (The Sandberg & Hembree Bridge & Trestle Company strikes!). We needed to countersink the brackets for the new screws and as you can see from the top hole, we had a real chatter problem.

Fortunately, the guys at CNC Cookbook (I got the name wrong in the video) had some great ideas. We had started out at 1,500 RPM. BY reducing it to 500 RPM we hit the machine and tools sweet spot. Good thing we did, we had a lot of countersinks to do!